Friday, January 06, 2006

I was doing so well!!

I haven’t gotten lost on my way home from work in at least 3 months.. last night, after I saw 42nd street in Lowell and had a beer at “the old court”, we drove back to work to pick up our cars.

It was around midnight, I was psyched that I was going to get to bed before 2, so psyched in fact that I put ‘Live like you were dying’ on repeat and was singing along at the top of my lungs.. “… i was finally the husband that most the time i wasn’t, and i became a friend a friend would like to have…” and I see a sign for the mass pike. Goddamnit!!!! Its at least 10 minutes to turn around, and then another 15 or so to get down route 2 and to my house. So I get off at the pike and am going to go in that way, and up 93. of course, there is a detour at exit 22 on the pike at 1245 at night, so I get off at the allston/brighton tolls and head in via storrow. Well, wouldn’t you know. You can’t get on 93N from storrow at that time of night.. so I had to go mcgrath obrien highway. Ugh. So frustrating. I don’t think I got home till like 1.

I was however greatly impressed with 42nd street. It was mostly tap dancing, and a musical. We missed prob the first ½ hour, and weren’t able to get programs… we had to wait for HEK to show up, even though we were so late ourselves. So we decided to get Chinese food cause we parked right next to a take out place. I almost felt a sense of déjà vu when LK told the lady that she wanted her sweet and sour chicken to go. I couldn’t fit a sesame tofu in my little purse… it was just as ridiculous as putting enchiladas in there.. I ended up eating up most of it in the lobby of the place while we waited. The thing I liked most about these dancers was they were real people. They didn’t look and act like dolls/ballerinas. It was refreshing, some of them even had CURVES!!!

I wish I had videotaped some of the “tap dancing” that happened afterwards. I didn’t realize that everyone I went with had taken years of tap. They proved why they didn’t become professional dancers afterwards on the street, all the way to the bar. It was very funny. People were honking their horns at us even.

We walked a few blocks in Lowell looking for “the purple shamrock”. Couldn’t find it, but we did find the “blue shamrock”… apparently that is a gang hangout of some sorts. The music was so loud we couldn’t hear ourselves before we even walked in and it was full of sketchy looking guys. The irish pub was much more our speed.