Tuesday, January 31, 2006

london day 2 - morning

I forgot to write last night that I went to the front desk to get the power converter so I could plug in my alarm clock. First let me tell you that I had my pjs on under my jeans and track jacket, and I had already taken out my contacts, so I had my glasses that have a prescription that dates back a good 5 years, maybe more. I get down there expecting the woman I had just spoken to on the phone, but it was a man. I had brought a cord down to make sure it fit in the converter before I got it back up to my room, and when I handed it to the guy he asked me which part of America I was from. I told him Boston, and then he goes, “I love your country, And I love Americans.” He was uncomfortably serious. It was very surreal. I felt like I didn’t really know what was going on anyway not having my contacts in, but it was akward at best. I said, “nice” and left… weirdo…

I think the mattress pad on my bed must be made of wool. I woke up drenched this morning. I guess I was too tired in the night to notice that I was sweating so much. It was so bad I literally was stuck to the sheets and could not roll over this morning. I know you think, why don’t you open the windows?… well. I was expecting windows with no screens in them like we found in Ireland. And while the windows have no screens, they are double windows. And only the inside set opens from the top down. Very peculiar.. out of the three windows in my room only one has the 2nd set of windows open a bit. Before I go to bed I think I am going to drag the chair around and see if I can’t open the other windows.

The weather here is actually sunny at the moment. But its just generally overcast. I am very surprised how dry it is though, (unless it’s just that I am immensely dehydrated from sweating so much last night) I have needed my chapstick 2 or three times since I’ve been here.

The team is taking me out to lunch in a few minutes. I’m excited. The street I work on has so many little places to grab something though, I can’t wait till tomorrow! I stopped at bagelmania on my way to work this morning and had an everything bagel with sundried tomato cream cheese. It was really just plain cream cheese with sun dried tomatoes on top. It was sooo good. I might get another one tomorrow. Oh shoot. I forgot to get a receipt.. hopefully tomorrow she can give me one for 2..

I am going to be uploading all my photos to a photo album soon, and I will just continue to update it.. so you can check there as you wish.